Monday, March 8, 2010

Sweet Potato Carrot Soup - I Heart Cooking Clubs -Crockpot

IPhotobucketn October, I made Nigella Lawson's Butternut and Sweet Potato Soup.  Tonight I did a variation on this theme, using carrots, sweet potatoes and organic butternut squash soup.


3 cups organic butternut squash soup

2 sweet potatoes

8 baby carrots

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup brown sugar

grind of pepper

it looked like it needed more liquid so I added water - about two cups

Method:

Cook sweet potato and carrots in boiling water.

In a crockpot, pour butternut squash soup.

Add cooked sweet potatoes and carrots which have been chunked.

Add cinnamon and pepper.

Cook on low for three hours.

Using immersion blender, liquefy the vegetables in the soup so you have a thick, creamy soup.  This is where I found I needed water.  I had a very thick soup, too think, for calling it a soup.

Pour into bowls and enjoy.


This week in I Heart Cooking Clubs, we are doing Sustaining Soups and Stews.  I readily admit, I love making these, in the cold winter, so this is a welcome choice.

Southern In My HeartDrop by and meet Amy who is going to culinary school.

17 comments:

  1. Ok this is a fantastic soup Chaya dear.....couldn add to the soup party today but shall soon...
    well we shall miss Nigella soon shant we?
    happy happy sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YES! Squash, and sweet potatoes and carrots. All the golden veggies. This looks like it would bring a bit of sunshine into the kitchen in these last dark days of winter! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a drop of sour cream, let it melt a bit, do that toothpick thing to make a decoration and it will look as good as it tastes... great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made carrot soup. I almost made carrot/sweet potatoe but didn't have enough sweet potatoes. Mine was very thick, too. I should have added more broth after blending.

    I will have to try this version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup is basically my dream soup. Just thought I'd let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the thick creamy and sweet soup you have here chaya... perfect for this rainy weather this weekeend here in Socal! btw, i love the rich orangey color too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! I need an immersion blender so I can make tasty soup like this...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so thick and creamy! I'm jealous of your immersion blender. I need to buy one of those:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to add the carrots--the soup has such gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I made a pumpkin and sweet potat osoup last week, too! Yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, simple and delicious. I love that you make it in a crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your soup looks so smooth and velvety, Chaya! The perfect warming dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, does this every look so very very GOOD! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love soups of all kinds and this one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I make some similar soups, throwing in any orange vegetable I have on hand--carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkin (I've never had all of those at the same time, though). Each brings a different flavor to the soup (for example, the pumpkin can be just what I want or too strong for me, depending on my mood). But the thing I like about this one (yours), is that I almost always have sweet potatoes and carrots on hand. So if I'm craving healthy orange soup, I know I can have it.

    Now that I've talked about it so much, I'm hungry. And a quick mental check of my pantry tells me I do indeed have sweet potatoes and carrots on hand! I think you just planned out my lunch!

    Thanks for participating in Food on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting this. What a good idea to use sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Thanks so much for coming over and linking joining in the Soup Exchange! This looks delicious!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.