Saturday, March 13, 2010

Drunken Steak - My Girl Paula PFP


 We usually have chicken on Friday nights for the Sabbath.  Since, we are clearing out, our freezer and we had this potentially delicious steak, in the freezer and little chicken, we took out meat instead of poultry.  PFP - Preparation for Passover or Clear Out the Kitchen.

Let me tell you, this was a cheap cut of steak but when it was cooked, it was like butter.  I think it takes time to get something this good, time in roasting, not in prep work.

Since it was, "Anything Goes" for My Girl Paula, I looked up a beef recipe and found this one.  I definitely made modifications, mostly because we are out of some basics and I am not replacing them until after Passover.  I will mark these in the recipe below.  You can check the original recipe at the Food Network.

Drunken Steak

Ingredients


1 (2-pound) boneless chuck steak
1 1/2 teaspoons House seasoning, recipe follows (Paula suggests you keep this on hand which is a great idea if this fits your needs.  Emeril has a great one also that I am thinking of making after Passover, and keeping in my cupboard.)

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 bay leave

1/2 cup red wine

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 small bottle of Coca Cola (my addition)

Method:

Sprinkle steak on all sides with house seasoning.

Using a skillet over high heat, sear roast until brown in oil.

Place roast in a Dutch oven, and layer onions, bay leaves, and seasoning.

Add the wine and cover with enough water to cover all of the ingredients.

Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until tender.

Remove and discard bay leaves.

I served with corn fritters and quinoa cakes.


Look carefully and see the onions coating the meat.  Unfortunately, this is the only photo, I have and it is not that clear.  The meat is in the liquid it was cooked in.

House Seasoning:  Paula Deen

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 month

2 comments:

  1. You really are making me way way hungry with this one Chaya and i always fancy ur tweaks....

    I have 3 little suprises for u on the link below .which jus might be the last at VAnillaStrawberrySpringfields co z i'll be moving to BSM soon....
    So do hop and see why i think u are a fantastic, creative blogger and my happy pals...cheers and so do hope u enjoy it too....
    http://vanillastrawberryspringfields.blogspot.com/2010/03/wedding-stori-valentine-wedding-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, does this ever look like a winner for my Ole Sweetie-Pi. He'll be LOVING this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.