Friday, March 19, 2010

Chocolate Crunch Mousse Pie PFP

Are you wondering about that badge?  Yep, it is a new one for an old group.  You Want Pies with That is being revitalized after a few months hiatus.  Jessica of My Baking Heart and Amy of Sing For Your Supper are stepping in to get us started again.  You, pie bakers, out there might like to join in the fun.  Check here for information.

Next month, the topic is Spring and I am submitting my Chocolate Crunch Mousse Pie.  It is light and airy like the Spring.



Tonight, I was cooking for the Sabbath and I must admit, it was humorous.  I had emptied my kitchen of all my utensils or pushed them into cabinets, I was not using.  I did not have a knife, a pot, a mixing bowl, certainly not a mixer. 

What came to my rescue was my dishwasher which had been full and hubby who was nice enough to run it.  Such excitement.  I found a spoon, a measuring cup, mixing bowl but no beaters.  Luck was with me, the mixers were still on the dining room table, waiting to be packed away.   There was even a pot to boil pasta, not for the mousse but for Haluski.

This mousse did not work out, the way I thought it would.  This is one of those mistakes that I love, if it really was a mistake.  I was working from memory of a mousse, I made, some time ago.  I remembered it had cream cheese, whipped topping and chocolate for the ingredients.  It came our creamy chocolate and was in a chocolate crust.

There was no way I could make a crust without flour or  chocolate cookie crumbs so I got a ready made graham cracker crust.   I was thinking of pouring some chocolate syrup on the surface of the crust but no chocolate syrup.  One has to be very clever or a magician to work when the kitchen is in limbo.  I prefer to think that one has to be very clever.

The best part was I got rid of the crust.  No, that was the second best part.  The first was eating some of the filling.  This is the best filling, I can imagine, at the moment.  It was a creamy mousse filled with small chunks of chocolate.  Where did those chunks come from?  Actually, this was a surprise to me.  I melted the chocolate chips and they were fully melted into one smooth cream.  When, I put them into the mousse mixture, they immediately turned in to chunks.  The only rationale, I can find is that the whipped topping had been frozen but sitting out, for an hour.  Maybe, it was still cold and when the two met, the lumped together to make these crunchy bites filled with chocolate flavor.  I, probably will not be able to recreate this but I hope I can.  This is superior to the smooth filling which I also love.

Here is the recipe.  If you try it, please tell me what happens to your chocolate.

Ingredients


1 8 ounce container of whipped topping  (I used the ready made which is unusual for me.)

1 8 ounce container of Tofutti whipped cream cheese

1/3 cup sugar

1 cup Tofutti sour cream

1 teaspoon almond extract  (If I could have located it, I would have used my mocha extract rather than almond.)

2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles

1  graham cracker crumb crust


Method:

In a  large bowl, using a mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth.

Add the sugar, sour cream and almond extract.

Continue to beat with mixer until all the ingredients are well combined.

Add the whipped topping and blend it in, by hand.

Melt chocolate chips in a microwave. If you prefer, use a double boiler to melt them.  You know me, I use my microwave, every chance I can.
Add the melted chocolate to the mousse mixture and blend it in.  If you are fortunate, you will get those scrumptious chocolate chunks.

Scoop the mixture into the pie crust.

Use a fork, a decorating piece or anything and make ridges in the mousse.

Top with chocolate sprinkles or decoration of choice.


Refrigerate.

If you  are wise, which I am sure you are, take a little of that topping, for yourself.  It is delicious.

Stop by at Design by Gollum.  I could spend my day there, there is so much to see.  She also has some great giveaways.

Don't miss the recipes at Friday Food.

Check out Tuesdays at the Table -  Great recipes.

23 comments:

  1. Oh dear ,ur so right ,this one is fantastic,am hopping right by ur link now to check the pie's -ofcourse i was excited with ur new button....
    And love this moussy pie as well as the sprinkies :-)))) cutey....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm celebrating the spring with THIS pie. No strawberry rhubarb for me. Chocolate. All. The. Way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful "mistake." The chunks of chocolate in that creamy mousse make my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been having no luck commenting on your blog lately. Weird things happen and I am sent to other places when I push Post Comment....Anyway, your pie looks wonderful Mistakes or funny chemical reactions are what make new and innovative new recipes. I love that the chocolate chunked in the cream. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super yum. Did you save a big slice for me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chaya, your chocolate creations always inspire me! I love how light and fluffy this one is -- I wish I had a piece right now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fabulous..My kids will love this for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pie looks wonderful, so your mistake was inspired. Thanks for walking us through the steps required to make it. Have a fabulous weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man! That looks so good! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pie creation idea. This pie looks fantastic!
    Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful pie. Glad the group is back

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a decadent pie Chaya! I would love to get involved but I stink at making pies. It is one of my downfalls. That's a good reason to join, I guess, so I can improve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want this pie! Oh, it looks delicious. I'm headed to the grocery tomorrow! Thanks for joining us at FF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pie Chaya! It must be that spring is in the air because I made a pie similar to yours today too. Pie theme is nice idea, I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good day, Chaya! As always, your baking looks amazing and this pie... really seducing! I'm trying not to stare at it. I've just taken my dinner! ^_^
    Regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy pie. This could be a new favorite for my family.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love pie, more than cake! Every day is pie day as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how your recipe came out. You will have to try my edible dirt and flowers recipe that I am doing for today at Tuesdays at the Table. My dirt reminds me of your mousse or vice versa. Hope that you have a chance to stop by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.