Saturday, February 27, 2010

Salmon with Mango Sauce from the Caribbeans

Salmon with Mango Sauce from the Carribeans     (Epicurious)

In searching for recipes from the Virgin Islands and the Carribeans, I found a recipe, which I can't makes, as is, because it is not kosher, Shrimp with Mango Sauce.  I substituted Salmon for the shrimp and split a piece with hubby.  I was not sure if we would like it.  It has a number of spices and hubby is not a spice man but he liked it and I love it.  Hubby gave it a B+ and I gave it an A.  I would say B+ means, I can make it again, with both of us being happy.

With one piece of salmon, I cut down the spices but I am not sure, it would be useful to you, to give it, as a single serving, besides, I admit it, I didn't measure.



Salmon with Mango Sauce  (4 servings)  adapted

Ingredients:

4 tsp canola oil

1/2 cup chopped red onion  (I id not have a red onion so I used a yellow one)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon ginger powder

3/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1 can mangoes  (I cut them into smaller pieces)

1/3 cup cider vinegar

2 tbsp fresh lime juice

1 tbsp brown sugar

1 piece of salmon

1/4 tsp garlic powder


Heat 2 tsp oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.

Cook onion, garlic, ginger, 1/4 tsp salt, allspice, cumin and cinnamon about 3 minutes.

Add mango, vinegar, lime juice and sugar and gently boil, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick.

Toss salmon with red pepper, garlic powder and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.

Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook salmon until no longer raw inside.

We ate it hot, rather than cold.


10 comments:

  1. I love the flavrs u have here....i think i would love this one too ...
    I didn know shrimp wasnt allowed in Kosher...We dont get fresh salmon as often here but we do get loads of mackrels,kingfish, Lady fish ,big mullets and i dont know the other elicious english names :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore mangoes, so this mango sauce looks quite ideal. Interesting to pair it with salmon...I bet they tasted amazing together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one, Chaya, this sounds deeee-lish!! This was a fun cookalong and I'm enjoying seeing what everyone else came up with. Big YUMS all over the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. We love both mangoes and salmon so this is goes on the menu this week.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love salmon, and this mango sauce looks perfect! Thanks for bringing it to the party!
    Min
    The Bad Girl's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so good with Salmon!! This sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good. I love the mangoes with the salmon, though I imagine it's good with the original shrimp, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chaya, you are the Salmon Queen!!! :-) I saw the loveliest mangoes at the market the other day and couldn't think of a thing to do with them. Now I simply have to try this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.