Wednesday, February 17, 2010

New England Sweet Potato Soup

This turned out to me the best soup, I have made and I didn't have a clue, it was going to happen.  I made the soup and left it overnight in the crockpot.   I asked my husband to turn it off, in the morning, since he leaves, before I do.  Later, I put it in the refrigerator without tasting it.  I forgot about it. 

The next day, I queried as to where the soup went.  I know, I put it away.  I just blanked on this one.  Maybe, because it was easy to make, so I filed it away, without a thought.

I finally got to sit down with a cup of soup and oh my, it was wonderful.  I think I had better tell you why I had such success with this soup and why I am not sure, if I can re-create it.  I had most of the ingredients in the crockpot and was adding the spices.  I used dried black pepper and when I started to put it in, the top fell off and there was a great deal of black pepper, swimming with the sweet potatoes. 

I started scooping out as much of the black pepper, as possible, but what was left, was more than I would have used, a lot more.  As a result, this soup was a contrast between the sweetness of the potatoes and the spicy flavor of the black pepper.  That is one delicious taste.  I could have finished the pot.  I know this is a matter of taste but if you you like the sweet and savory (that is our name), then this is for you. 
 

New England Sweet Potato Soup    - adapted        


Cook: 6 to 8 hours (low) or 3 to 4 hours (high) in a crockpot.
                                                                                                                           Souper Sundays
Ingredients

2-1/2 to 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)

1/4 cup maple-flavor syrup

1 frozen garlic cube

1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper - MORE - I have no idea what to tell you about the correct amount.

3 cups organic vegetable broth

2 cups water

1/2 cup Rice Milk



Method:

1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine sweet potatoes, onion, maple-flavor syrup, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper. Pour broth and the water over all.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.

3. If you like a smooth soup, use an immersion blender or potato masher to liquify it.  If you like your soup chunky, serve with pieces of sweet potato swimming around.  I did the latter.

18 comments:

  1. LOL I've done that more than once.. be glad it wasn't cayene pepper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...I love sweet potatoes. This sounds very delicious. But I can't get rice milk here. Maybe I'll adapt. Thanks for sharing. For your info, you can adjust settings to your comment box to allow for 'Name/URL' so that more people will leave comments. I'm MaryMoh from http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com. Thanks very much for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I love the sounds of this. My jaw is so swollen from the accident that yogurt and soup is the best thing for eating. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how I feel about sweet potatoes and this sounds absolutely delicious! Sometimes accidents are blessings in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet and savory just like you name... i love it! sometimes an accident could turn out to be a wonderful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is amazing i can tell,though i aint up for too muc pepper but would love the contrast with sweet potato soup n in the crockpot...perfecto.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sweet potatoes but the only way I'll eat them is savory/spicy so I'm sure that I'd overdo on the pepper too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love soup with sweet potatoes in it. I love it when I make a "mistake" and don't know how to duplicate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious. However I've never heard of rice milk. Should look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks yummy! It can be hard to find vegetarian slow cooker recipes. I have a bunch of healthy ones on my blog if you're interested. (http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delicious and warming soup with the black pepper in it Chaya! A happy mishap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband puts so much black pepper on his soups that I know he'd love this combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll eat anything sweet potato. Even the pepper sound like a good mistake.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharing this winner with the allergic-to-everything kid. She'd LOVE this and so do I!! Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious and healthy--love the idea of the maple syrup (and the surprise-dose of pepper!).

    Thank you so much for joining Food on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I add so much black pepper to things it sounds as if it would be perfect for me. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, that sounds really yummy!! Thanks for sharing with TATT. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delicious. I love the maple syrup in it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.