Friday, February 5, 2010

Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles

I have eaten and I have made what I called Cabbage and Noodles, for years and years.  I have not made these in several months.  Blogging is not good for old recipes.  I love these, though, so I made them today.  I have only tasted them but I like these.  They have a sweet and peppery taste which is a favorite for me.  They are also easy to make which is also a favorite for me.

I decided to find a recipe since I cook this, using "the little of this and little of that" method.  I would have told you to boil the noodles, fry the onions and cabbage, throw in some sugar and pepper and enjoy.  I am not sure that would have given much guidance.  In looking, I kept coming up with recipes that had sour cream.  They looked delicious and I would like to try this one day but that was not my memory dish.

Finally, I found one called Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles.  It looked similar to what I make.  It uses oil.  I used to use margarine but since oil is healthier, I decided to give it a try. 

I am not sure what makes this Hungarian.  I did a few minutes research and could not find a reason but I would guess this was a traditional dish.  I also looked up Jewish Cabbage and Noodles and I got the Hungarian recipe.  I never heard this was a Jewish recipe but I have found it, in many Jewish homes so this may be true.  It matters not.  What counts is that we like it.  I hope you do, too.

Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles

1 bag of shredded green cabbage
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons Canola oil
1/3 cup of brown sugar
black pepper to taste - this is one dish, I like a lot of it but I didn't measure
12 ounces noodles or macaroni (I used Little Dreams by Tinkyada which is gluten free)

Heat oil in 12 inch skillet.
Add onions and cook until they are soft.
Stir in the cabbage and saute for about twenty minutes.  They will have also softened.
Mix in brown sugar and pepper.  I kept tasting until I got the right combination but my ingredients can be a starting point.

Boil noodles, following package directions.
Toss noodles with cabbage and onions and enjoy.



14 comments:

  1. Chaya, you read my mind! My mom makes a dish similar to this (she calls it lazy pierogis), which I've been craving! I think she uses egg noodles and adds chicken sausage...I've been dying for it! ;) Your recipe looks phenomenal, I'm printing as I type. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby's gonna love this recipe. He'd eat cabbage for every meal if I made it for him. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of old dish that could sustain you after a hard day of work.
    Very nice. Makes you appreciate more simple sustaining food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. me and Zsa Zsa... we love the idea of this darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Chaya! I really like cabbage but there is only so many things you can do with it. This is one way I've never eaten it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had this one r heard about it ...looks like a hearty dinner....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought a cabbage, not sure what I was going to do with it. I am sooo making this. Ole Sweetie-Pi is going out with friends to watch the Super Bowl. I'm going to make this when he's away and I won't have to hear him whine about the cabbage aromas that I find so wonderful and he finds sooo, well not wonderful. LOL LOVING this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes feel bad that I never remake recipes. But then I think of all the things that I want to cook. And I realize there's just no time!

    This looks delicious. I can see why it's a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this looks so delicious. I also am not sure why this would be a Hungarian dish but, it looks great. As I love cabbage and noodles, I will be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola dear sweet Chaya...howdya do...left ya a little note on the latest post and do tell me if ur game for it so can add ur name and link....

    Have never had anything like this and it seems like an interesting combi....
    Cheers and have a fantastic weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum.... this looks comforting and filling. Just what everyone needs on this cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always have cabbage in my crisper, it's versatile as i can make soups or veggies or even with noodles... but i never even thought that brown sugar could go with it. This I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband's Hungarian mother used to make the dish by first frying bacon until crisp and then taking it out of the pan. The rest of the recipe is the same pretty much but she would add a tiny bit of cinnamon along with the tiniest bit of brown sugar and of course "just a little too much" pepper. I don't really mean that she put in too much pepper, but you can taste the pepper, and usually when you add pepper to a dish you cannot really taste it. Well, Helen (Ilona) would always use "just a little too much" pepper and you could taste it. I think it is the secret ingredient to this dish along with the tiny bit of cinnamon. To serve, she crumbled bacon on top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my name is Illna...named after my aunt Helen (ilona) she made up the name. my grandmother used to fry her cabbage in lard with noodles. my favorite growing up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.