Thursday, February 18, 2010

Corn Maque Choux with Emeril's Creole Seasoning - Meatless Mondays


I found this recipe on Meatless Mondays and added Emeril's seasoning.  Emeril calls it, Kicked Up Maque Choux"   The seasoning was quite a success and I can see making a lot and keeping it, for a while.  It can be used on a lot more than the corn.  I would like to try it in a meat loaf or in a pasta sauce.

Corn Maque Choux

"Sweet corn is cooked slowly with onions, tomatoes and bell pepper in this irresistible side dish. Serve it alongside gumbo, jambalaya or your favorite bean casserole. This recipe comes to us from Holly Clegg of The Healthy Cooking Blog."

Serves 8  ( I cut this in half but I am leaving the original quantities.)

6 cups frozen corn, thawed and rinsed
2 onions, chopped  (I used the chopping attachment on my immersion blender.)

1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped

2 cups tomatoes, chopped

2 teaspoons sugar

¼ cup skin milk   (I used Rice Milk)

Salt and pepper, to taste

2 tablespoons canola oil

In a large bowl, combine corn, onions, green pepper, tomatoes, sugar and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a large non-stick pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add corn mixture, stirring to coat, then lower heat to medium-low.

Cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes, or until corn is tender, stirring frequently. If mixture becomes too dry, add a little extra milk. Plate and enjoy!

This is a delicious dish.  Everyone liked it and I certainly would make it again.  I am a corn lover and hubby certainly likes corn.  It had a good chance to succeed but, it really stood on its own.  I do think that the seasoning gave it that extra boost to bring it to a higher level of greatness.  I have a feeling, though, I would have liked it without it, also.

Emeril's Creole Seasoning

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika


2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano

1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

From Wikipedia "Maque choux pronounced /ˈmɑːkʃu/, approx. "mock shoe") is a traditional dish of southern Louisiana. It is thought to be an amalgam of Acadian French (Cajun) and Native American cultural influence, and the name is likely to derive from the French interpretation of the Native American name.



It is a simple dish that fundamentally contains corn, green bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, and sometimes garlic and celery. The ingredients are first braised in a pot. Historically bacon grease was used for this, although this is now more often substituted with various combinations of oil, butter, or cream. The vegetables are then left to simmer until they reach a juicy, saturated consistency, with chicken stock or water added as necessary. The dish is finished with salt and a combination of red and black pepper, and some cooks include hot sauce and a bit of sugar for greater complexity."

16 comments:

  1. This is a perfect recipe for me to add to meatless mondays when i make it ie....love the recipe-we so love sweet american corn too!!!!
    Bookmarked...yeah......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful!

    Wonderful photos and a great looking recipe for "just" corn

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious! Corn is one of my absolute favorite veggies. Thanks for this new and tasty way to prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are gorgeous! I love Creole food and will be trying this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh... my. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious and is so colorful. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmm....I can not wait to try this
    thank you
    Live Laugh and Enjoy
    Fire-Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of colours in this one. Good variation of corn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always looking for new ways to make one of our favorite vegetables. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds yummy! I love that you can use frozen corn to make it. Great idea to let your immersion blender do some of the work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slow coking corn just really draws out the natural sweetness. This looks really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always have my corn buttered, and just that. It's refreshing to know other ways to prepare it as I do love corn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chaya, this looks irresistible. Corn is such a huge favorite with me, and to see it all dressed up like this, well now I have to have it. Will be enjoying this one SOON! Thank you for sharing this delicious find.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a healthy dish! I use Emeril's Essence Seasoning in everything I make...except for desserts. It really does kick it up a notch :) I left something for you over at my blog, come pick it up when you get a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous and healthy dish, Chaya! Corn is a favorite of mine and I know Mike would love this dish as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Corn is one of my favorite sides! I love this with the seasoning! Thanks for sending it to the Showdown Chaya!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.