Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chewy Chunky Blondie


Although, I am attempting to bake with Dorie, each week, there are too many good recipes in her book, to limit me only those.  When, I first got the book, I started placing stickies on the pages that interested me but almost every page got a sticky note. 
I was baking specifically for my class and I saw this Blondie recipe and the word, "chewy" jumped out at me.  Before, I share this delicious recipe, I want to share some cookies, my five year old granddaughter made in school or at home (Not sure which batch this is from...).  She also helped me bake some which I plan to share with you later.  They were super.

Blondies - oh so chewy


From Baking from My Home to Yours - Dorie Greenspan  page 109   (adapted slightly)

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bakiing soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks margarine at room temperature (8 ounces)
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar (I use Brownulated)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chunks
3 ounces chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup coarsely walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut (I didn't use.)

Method: 


  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees.


  • Spray with cooking oil a 9 x 13 baking pan.

  • Place baking pan on a cookie sheet.
  • Whisk together, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
  • In large bowl, with a mixer, beat margarine until smooth and creamy.
  • Add brown and white sugars and beat until incorporated.  (about 3 minutes)
  • Add eggs, one at a time.  Beat one minute after each addition.
  • Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients.  Mix only until they disappear into batter.
  • Using rubber spatula, stir in chips and nuts.   (In place of coconut, I added some additional chopped nuts.)
  • Use spatula to scrape batter in prepared baking pan.
  • Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into center of blondies, comes out clean.  They should pull away from the sides of the pan and be a honey gold in color.
  • Transfer pan to a rack and let cook for fifteen minutes.
  • Turn blondies out on another rack.
  • Let blondies cool to room temperature,
I added a step.  When, I took the blondies out of the oven, I sprinkled the top with chocolate chips to cover, and spread them out, for an easy icing.  They did not need the icing but I was bringing these to my students who love chocolate.

Makes about 32 bars.

What I like best about these is the chewiness with every bite.  Opposed to a soft cake, this had a definite bite to it.







10 comments:

  1. I don't care for chocolate but my husband does. He was walking behind me as I was reading your post and said....HEY WAIT! LOL Guess what has been added to our baking list this weekend? Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 5 years and already baking...:) Fun cookies too. Your blondies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chewy does look and sound good. I must admit that I love the cookies that your granddaughter made the best. So cute and such a great job painting them. Happy Chanukah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anything as gooey and fantastic as this. Totally bookmarked.

    Your granddaughter did a great job on those cookies! I know who she takes after...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something to die for.. gosh! I wonder what's your weight now... haha...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Blondies look so delicious. I want to make some right now. I love chewy!! The cookies look Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cookies are so cute, your granddaughter did a great job. I have those Blondies marked in my book too. I love the flavor that brown sugar gives to baked goods.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum!! I do so love chewy blond brownies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great that you are baking with your grand-daughter. She will have those memories for her entire life. And your students are so lucky to have baked goodies so often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not think that I've ever had a blondie, but it does look very very good. I can see chocolate lovers clamoring for one of these.

    LUV the cookies your sweet (and gifted!) granddaughter made. At five years old, she is doing an outstanding job. I don't think I could do so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.