Sunday, November 22, 2009

Basmati Rice with Sweet Onions and Herbs


Basmati Rice with Sweet Onions and Summer Herbs               Bon Appétit June 2008

Makes 6 servings


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups basmati rice

2 tablespoons margarine
2 cups chopped Vidalia onions
2 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh  parsley

1 teaspoon dried tarragon

Method:

Add 1 cup brown basmati rice to 2  1/2 cups of  vegetable broth.

Cook until done.  I cooked for 40 minutes.  Follow directions on bag or box.

Melt margarine in large saucepan over medium-high heat.

Add onions; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add cooked rice. Stir in herbs. Season with pepper and salt, if desired.

Transfer to bowl and serve.

Eat and enjoy.


14 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks great. I love basmati rice. It's so flavorful and has wonderful texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! It's a perfect side dish to almost any meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onions are such a great way to spice up rice. I love all of the herbs in this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Basmati rice, the flavor is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rice dishes and this one looks like a winner! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a most perfect side dish, and goes well with so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good! I will have to try it. I love basmati rice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Basmati rice is my favorite. What a WONDERFUL!!! side dish.
    geri

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a wonderful side dish with so many recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby can't live a single day without rice! This is so yummy looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been making so many rice side dishes lately, and this one sounds so simple and delicious. I love basmati rice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rice is one of those comfort foods that we just love - I've never made basmati rice, though. We do mostly brown rice - Joe recently requested wild rice, which I will soon make for him. I agree with everyone else - this looks like it would compliment so many dishes and I'm sure it's yummy.

    Thanks for linking to Slightly Indulgent Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How delicious! I haven't had basmati rice since July when we are on vacation. It was wonderful. I need to make some. Now I have a great recipe--thanks!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LUV rice; this sounds super good. Will have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.