Sunday, October 25, 2009

Faith's Salad




If you take a leap over to Faith's blog, Thought for Food, you will find this wonderful recipe with some additional information. I planned to do everything from scratch but I was under a time deadline and I could not complete everything. It still worked out beautifully.


Faith's Salad


6 servings)

Salad:


About 6 c Romaine lettuce, chopped (I used two bags of pre-cleaned)
1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded(I used four carrots)

½ c shredded red cabbage (a half of a bag)
2 TB fresh minced scallions or chives (I used 4 scallions)
3 oz Bleu cheese, crumbled (I did not use any cheese because it would have cause a problem in out Kosher lives).
¼ c dried cranberries (1.2 cup )

¼ c crispy pasta
¼ c honey roasted nuts

Crispy Pasta: (I did this part)
1/4 cup angel hair pasta broken into 1-2-inch pieces (Alternative thin rice noodles)
1 ½ tsp olive oil
Pinch salt

Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Roasted Nuts: (I had candied walnuts which I used instead of making these, myself.)
¼ c coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans 2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp water
1 tsp butter
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch salt

Balsamic Vinaigrette: (I did this)
2 ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
1 ½ tsp honey
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
2 ½ TB olive oil
Pinch salt and pepper

For the crispy pasta: In a small pan, heat the pasta, oil, and salt over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes until the color of the pasta turns opaque. Turn off the heat and leave the pasta in the pan for another 30 seconds until it turns golden brown. Remove the pasta to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil. Allow to cool to room temperature.
(It was fascinating to watch it turn color)

For the vinaigrette: Whisk together all ingredients.

Assemble the salad by tossing together all ingredients.

Even though I do not have a photo of the final product, I will vouch for it turning out to be an attractive salad. Check out Faith's blog to see her finished product. This was a delicious salad and I also brought along Tyler Florence's cole slaw which is an excellent cole slaw. Salads were good. The whole dinner was grand. My daughter-in-law is an excellent cook and baker.

7 comments:

  1. What a great recipe for an autumn-style salad! Loks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for making this, Chaya! I'm so glad you liked it! It sounds like it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy guacamole. This is a Salad (capital S)!! I love caramelized nuts so that just sends me over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful salad. This is what I need to bring to work with me for lunch! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it was yummy. Thanks for linking up, and I changed the name for you. I've done that before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love creative salad like that! And, doesn't it always seem that we fret and things still work out? Why do we fret? ;-) LOL I'm making my great salad today that has dried cranberries and cabbage. I love all the ingredients in your salad and the dressing, Chaya! ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the colors in this salad. Would be lovely for entertaining. Thanks so much for sharing on Momtrends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.