Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mystery Pie


What a challenge! "You Want Pies With That?" has chosen for this month "Masquerade Pie" - Make a pie that has a secret.

This week's hostesses are Mary at alpineberry and Jeanette at Jeanette's Mommy Musings. I thank them for an original idea which I certainly had fun with.

Many ideas ran through my mind, some silly, a few possibly clever, others to difficult to pull off and some boring. I came upon this idea accidentally by finding something in my freezer that I really had no use for but would not throw out. Good food is good food, even if it just sits there.

This food stood in front of me, at the weirdest times, begging me to figure out what to do with it. I can't tell you now some of those ideas but I think what I ended with was the best choice and as far as being edible and good, this wins. It should be delicious. Unusual but delicious. What is the mystery ingredient. No, it is not gefilte fish.

So here's the story. The crust is simple, a plain old graham cracker crust, nothing special but above the crust is my mystery ingredient. Take a good look at it. I had opened my refrigerator and saw a partially full box of Tofutti Cuties, chocolate outside with peanut butter filling. First I was going to cut them into pieces and line them up and cover them with some whipped cream. I stood there feeling dissatisfied and that light bulb went on. Beat the Tofutti Cuties with a mixer and spread whatever comes out on the graham cracker crust. If you think about it, it is not so different than crushing Oreo cookies.


I did just that and put a layer on the crust. I had been thinking and scheming through this whole process about the topping and I remembered the chocolate mousse I had made adding marshmallow fluff instead of raw eggs. Aha! I beat a small container of whipped topping until the peaks stood up. I added about four tablespoons marshmallow creme into the whipped topping and then added some peanut butter, probably four tablespoons also. It does not matter too much how you measure these. If you like the peanut butter taste, add more peanut butter. The marshmallow fluff or creme adds some body and a different texture but if you don't like it, you can combine the whipped topping and peanut butter or change to something different like melted chocolate. I have made a few recipes, making them up, as I go along. I guess marshmallow is a secret ingredient also. Two for the price of one. I had kept one of the Tofutti Cuties in the freezer and when I had the pie set up, I crumbled it over the top. You could decorate with chocolate syrup of hot fudge or sprinkles. This is the never ending idea recipe. I had lots of fun with this. I hope everyone else did also.


















































I am sharing this with Save Room for Dessert by the Baker with the Mostess, Joy of Desserts.

10 comments:

  1. I would love for you to link up to Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Mister Linky is ready for your favorite slow cooker recipe. Your soup would be perfect for that. Come check it out. Thanks. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. How creative and how delicious this looks!! Well done, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your so creative!! This looks so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pie!!! It looks lovely and nobody would ever guess :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never eaten tofu but this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep on the good work, dear! And this look fabulous. I would love to have some. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative! And it looks super yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opinion, tofu is an underrated and underutilized ingredient. So glad you had fun with this month's theme. I'm sure no one could guess that the secret was Tofutti!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so interesting and delish!

    P.S. you can vote for your favorites at http://pieswiththat.blogspot.com/2009/11/october-roundup-november-theme.html . Looks like everyone has forgotten to vote :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.