Friday, September 25, 2009

Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew


My new cookbook. I have 4 or 5 cookbooks from this talented cook. I have wanted it for a long time. I happened to see it, on sale, on Amazon, last week, and you see what I did. I bought it.

All Susie's cookbooks have exciting recipes. They are kosher but anyone can use these recipes. Kosher food is not that different. I have a list of recipes, I want to try that will keep me busy for months. Her recipes are clear and the photos, as you can see, are beautiful.

So far, I have made this Sweet Potato Stew and a really terrific cabbage slaw, different than any other I have made. You will find the cabbage slaw on Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog.


I am sending this to Simple Supper Saturday which has been ably hosted by Martha and unfortunately, I am not sure which of the two Martha's that post there. My apologies. Martha is passing the reigns to Girlichef who we are sure will take over Martha's responsibilites and run with them. We thank both of you, Martha and Heather.

Here is the Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew with its great spices. (Adapted)

1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inched dice
3 cloves garlic which I had to eliminate because my hubby can't tolerate garlic
1/4 cup of water - more as needed
1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I have to get this.)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3-4 sweet potatoes
(I only had two sweet potatoes so I added some chunks of butternut squash, leftover from Paula Deen's squash casserole.)
1 large red pepper, seeded and cut into inch pieces
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into one inch cubes
1 summer squash cut in to one inch pieces
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 cups garbanzo beans
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I mistakenly took crushed tomatoes and used them)

Place onion and garlic in large pot (I used my soup pot) with 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered over low heat until tender, about ten minutes. (I found that I needed to add another 1/4 cup water three times.)

Stir in the turmeric,cinnamon, curry, cumin, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for three minutes.

Stir in the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, eggplant, summer squash and vegetable broth. Raise heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for five minutes.

Add garbanzo beans and tomatoes until sweet potatoes are tender about 50 minutes. I added the butternut squash, which was cooked, for the last 20 minutes.

Serve and enjoy.































12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous book! I get so excited when I start reading a new cookbook. ;) I love all the spices in this stew...so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful dish with all those healthy food in there! YUm..yum...And you have a nice weekend. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That looks great. I love the spices you put in it. Very flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookbooks..this one looks so good! I have never had Sweet potato stew..it looks and sounds healthy.

    To answer you question on the Praline Apple bread..it tastes increible! I love it so much and will have to make it again asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great combination of flavors! Sounds and looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds excellent Chaya! Love all those veggies and the beans. So warm and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE this stew. Fabulous flavors in a terrific combination. YUM YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds like something I would love.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such a healthy recipe at Slightly Indulgent Mondays!

    Amy Green
    Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a sweet potato chili recipe from Stephanie O'Dea at A Year of Slow Cooking recently and it was awesome. Your recipe looks very similar, so I already know it is wonderful. :-)

    Thanks,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is a beautiful stew. So colorful. Thank you for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.