Friday, September 4, 2009

Creamy CHOCOLATE Pie

Creamy Non Vacation Pie


Each month they have a theme and the members make a pie to fit the theme. By September 7th, they are collecting "Vacation Pies". I did not have a vacation, this summer, nor do I have a dream vacation. For me, vacation is to take it easy OR to do what we did, spend some time with our grand kids. When they come over, I get to make chocolate desserts.

I love to cook and bake with chocolate. I like to eat chocolate. I am the only one in the house that eats chocolate. Knowing this, hopefully, you understand that I don't dare make too much chocolate. When school starts, I bake for my class and then I can again open the door to chocolate. They don't leave a crumb for me to be concerned about.

For my vacation pie, I thought it would be appropriate to make a chocolate pie. I have to first make a huge confession. I am afraid of making pies, even those with crumb crusts. You will see why when you see how lopsided my crust is, this month. I am making this a challenge for myself and hopefully by the end of a year, I will be making all kinds of pie crusts. This is my baby step.

You may join me in this journey and if you would be kind enough to cheer me on with honest criticism, it will be appreciated.

This pie is one of those that have layers of delicious ingredients. First a Mock Oreo pie crust. Then a cream cheese/whipped topping layer, then a bit of peanut butter and chocolate chips followed by the CHOCOLATE layer and some crumbs for the top. Fortunately, I have grandchildren coming for the weekend. Between this and the Strawberry pretzel jello concoction, they have lots to eat. I also have cookies and brownies. Grandma's prerogative......

I use a cream filled cookie like Oreos but a different brand. For the sake of ease, I will call it Oreo, for this recipe.

Oreo Pie Crust
2 1/2 cups Oreo or substitute cream filled cookie crumbs (Pulse in food processor)

My food processor is not functioning so I put the cookies in a plastic bag and beat them up with a rolling pin - great way to get rid of your frustration)

2 tablespoons of margarine (I could have used a little more margarine)

I melted the margarine in the Pyrex pie plate in my microwave. I added the cookie crumbs, in the pan and pressed them in to form the crust.

Fillings:

Creamy filling: ( I cut the ingredients in half. This is half.)

4 ounces cream cheese

2 tablespoons sugar

6 ounces whipped topping

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.

Gently add the whipped topping and mix. (Do not use beaters)

Place this carefully on top of pie crust.

I warmed up 1/3 cup of peanut butter and spread it in the middle over the cream.

Top peanut butter which should cover 3/4 of surface with a sprinkling of chocolate chips.


Chocolate Layer:

Mix one package of instant chocolate pudding with 1 cup of milk. This will be thick.

When it is mixed well, mix in remaining whipped topping (I think it is 6 ounces) I am referring to something like Cool Whip which comes in a tub, not the kind you have to beat although I see no reason for not doing the work ourselves.
Spread on top of the pie.

Take extra cookie crumbs and sprinkle on top of pie. You can use chocolate chip (miniature) or chocolate sprinkles or anything that appeals to you.

I haven't tasted it. I will wait for the kids to arrive. It certainly looks as if it will taste just great.

18 comments:

  1. This is a chocolate lovers dream!! I am real bad at making crusts too, the pastry type. I avoid them as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great to me and I would take a vacation for this pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what you are talking about - this pie looks great! This sounds like a fun event. I would take part in it but I've already got two dessert events that I'm participating in and I can only bake so much at a time! You should try Tyler's pie crust recipe. I was scared at first as well but it came out so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chocolate! Looks Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a chocolate fan, but I would like a piece of this luscious looking pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like it was delicious...and I'm sure it was :) Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm, this looks so tempting! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you feel - I was scared of making pies, too. But the more you make them, honest, the better you get at handling the crusts. And this pie looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum...the filling sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy! I never pass up a slice of chocolate pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great and delicious, Chaya. Thank you for also participating in Save Room for Dessert Wednesday with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, this sounds super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, yummy! This looks wonderfully decadent and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be the worst at pie crusts, gave up for awhile and then IU woke up one morning a year and a half ago and just said I'm making a pie today and it worked! So crazy, but all your failed attempts will pay off. Regardless of how perfect anything is, this looks like a delicious chocolate pie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds perfectly delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Krazy Kitchen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pie looks great! I love the super duper chocolate and cream cheese filling. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.